Tuesday, July 8, 2014

To Bathe or Not to Bathe....THAT is the question!

(From Gloria....):

I quite often remember the day on the metro in New York when Hilary was sitting across from Moey and me.  Hilary was commenting on how she didn't "shower every day" and the man sitting next to her abruptly looked at her like she was contaminated! Moey and I burst into hysterical laughter.    I was mortified, the very thought of one of my children not scrubbing daily was unthinkable.  I think of it because aaaaahhh yes, I now understand. While I live in hot and humid climate I DO NOT shower every day.  Several reasons are as follows:
  • We don't have water for showers every day so a bucket bath  for the pits and other personal parts has to suffice
  • The water from the shower is not what one would call ....ummm....clean so it causes strange little scales on the skin.
  • My hair LOVES the humid climate and it likes to go several days without washing because it has more body and looks better and better.  It is probably filthy hair, but it looks good.  (however my scalp itches whether I wash it daily or not)
  • One really interesting thing, these lovely African people who have many many many fewer amenities than we have, rarely smell as though they need a bath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment