Sunday, March 2, 2014

To fufu or not to fufu that is the question

Our adorable site monitors Eddy, Eric, Jordeo and Water and our Felix our equally as adorable translator love to give me a bad time about fufu.  They are determined that I should eat it.   At a recent meeting I asked them what their mothers would make for them as a treat when she wanted them to know that she loved them.  "Fufu"...(cassava flour and maize flour cooked together into a lump of....well a lump)  "No no no, I mean when it was your birthday or some time special" I cried!
The resounding response, "fufu"....all accompanied with huge rounds of laughter.  So I said, "I am going to show you what I made for my kids when I wanted to give them a real tread and I brought in a huge platter of homemade chocolate chip cookies and containers of cold milk.  Do you think they turned it down?  Nope not a crumb left.   Then I asked them if they had any idea where I could find some tortillas.   I had checked at the market  for tortilla chips to go with taco soup but when I saw the price tag of $17 for a 4 oz bag that was probably stale I tried to find corn or even flour tortillas, "I will make my own chips"!  The guys response to my question about tortilla's was, "ummmm what is a tortilla?".  After describing my beloved taco soup and how it is topped with tortilla chips, their faces resembled mine when they described fufu.  (green in color)  I was determined so at the market I picked up a little package of corn flour. "I will start from scratch and make my own corn tortillas then I will toast them into tortilla chips, I will show them. "   It didn't take long to realize what had been labeled corn flour was corn starch.  Undaunted I made flour tortillas.  Well they were ok, but my quest continues but I will not pay $17 for a bag of tortilla chips. 

My homemade tortillas

Fufu mix available at Fresh World in Herndon, VA

No comments:

Post a Comment