Sunday, March 9, 2014

Mexican feast

Enough already!  So yes, we complain A LOT about the of food and the lack there of of our favorite things such as produce.   Imagine my glee when planning a Mexican feast for a friend's birthday.   In the grocery store I actually found flour tortillas.  They were real tortillas, just like the kind you have back home.   big, round and not crepes or pita bread, real tortillas.   They were in a package of six.  I was beside myself with joy and ready to pick up a pile of them when the sticker shock hit.   $12 a package.  Ummmmmm excuse me?  So the gang is going to have to eat my funny, misshapen homemade tortillas, but if I do say so myself, they are darn tasty.   Oooops so there I was complaining again.   Several things that are amazingly better than in the USA.
  • Meat- it is read, fat cut off, and delicious.  Not a huge meat eater but what I have eaten it is better than anything I have had in the US, maybe ever.
  • The trays meat comes on.- Not Styrofoam like at home.  Great sturdy heavy plastic trays, savable and reusable.   Love them.
  • I have already mentioned fresh papaya and pineapple
  • Whole grain flour-  OH YUM!   We go to a mill and buy freshly ground whole,white winter wheat.  I haven't a clue where it comes from but a zillion times tastier, and easier to work with than all the hard red winter wheat I have been grinding for years.  OK, I don't have my wonderful Bosch here but making three loaves at a time isn't all that bad, good upper body exercise slinging that dough around.    (insert picture----fresh from the oven!)

No comments:

Post a Comment