Thursday, May 21, 2015

My Moninga Valenteen


MY MONINGA VALENTEEN

Na lingi yo

LUBUDI COMMUNE, KINSHASA,

DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO

2014-2015

 I have made such wonderful, memorable and precious friendships in D R Congo.  I am especially fond of the children and mature women.   The life expectancy in DRC is 55 years, so there aren’t a lot of what we westerners would consider elderly.  One little girl in particular has stolen my heart.  In April 2014 we visited the commune of Lubudi where Valenteen lives with her mother and grandmother.  The residents of Lubudi had never had clean water.   Valenteen’s mother like all of the women of the commune would leave her home (cement block cubicle) at three each morning, trek through the jungle to a watering hole all the while off animals and rapists.   Filling her bidon to its sixty pound limit then loading it onto her head, mother would trek back to feed her family their quite possibly only meal of the day, fufu.  On the day of our first visit to Lubudi Valenteen’s mother was eager to show us where she went each day to get water and how desperately they were in need of a well and clean water.  Valenteen, age 2 was fascinated by this tall “mundele” visitor (Lingala for white face).  While my husband was discussing construction options and well possibilities I was playing peek-a-boo with Valenteen as she hovered behind her mother’s pagne (the wrap around skirts we Congolese women wear). Valenteen was quite afraid of this strange looking woman.  Her grandmother kept encouraging her to come closer but she was very reluctant even to the point of tears.   I told her grandmother that I really didn’t want Valenteen to be forced to get closer to me because she was obviously frightened.  Grandmother insisted and ultimately Valenteen inched a little closer.  In the photo below you can see the tears on her cheeks.   I was saying, “na lingi yo” (I love you) and she consented to my being allowed to give her a kiss on the cheek.
April 2014- Lubudi Commune.  Valenteen age 2.

May 2015- Lubudi Commune.  Valenteen age 3.
 Over the next year as Humanitarian Missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints we were able to work with contractors and members of the community.  Ultimately 6 wells were constructed in the Lubudi Commune.  While observing construction I occasionally was able to see Valenteen.  She was still quite cautious.  Occasionally willing to get close to me, but not long enough for a photo op.



Our time here in DR Congo is growing short.  I very much wanted to see Valenteen for a last time and to give her a little gift.  Just this week we trekked through the jungle into Lubudi one last time.  I sent our Lingala translator Felix ahead to her home to let her mother know that I really hoped to see Valenteen.  When we arrived Valenteen was standing outside waiting for us.  Congolese children in the communes have no commercial toys, so I didn’t want to give her something that was purchased out of a store.  I had previously asked a man who does some sewing for me to make a simple doll for Valenteen.  A joyful reunion and a fond farewell with my dear little Valenteen.  I hope she will remember her mundele moninga (white face friend) and forever have clean water.  What a precious little soul there will always be a place in my heart for Valenteen.
Valenteen, grandmother and mother.

Two grandmothers- I love these beautiful mature Congolese women.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment